Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Weddings and Presents

       This weekend I had the privilege of watching a dear friend marry the love of her life (who is also pretty awesome). She is one of those amazingly beautiful women that you want to be able to hate...she's just too pretty, too nice, too giving. But alas, she truly is and there is simply no way to hate her...only to love her. So it was even more rewarding to watch her in true happiness in one of the most beautiful weddings I have ever seen!
 
     The setting was picturesque to say the least. It was held at Wells Reserve at Laudholm Farm. If you've never taken a trip to southern Maine to see this place I recommend you do, it is amazing. She did everything just right. The barn and buildings were lit with twinkle lights just right, the beautiful altar was affixed with an array of wildflowers, and a gorgeous white tent was set near-by with exquisite table settings and dinner. In thoughtfulness they even established a giving table for the families of the 19 victims of the devastating recent fires in Arizona.


        

     She seemed to have thought of everything! Table pace cards were rustically hung on the barn wall with the use of a wooden frame and mini clothes pins. She even put bug spray on all the cocktail tables...and we used it! Gifts were placed in a wooden cart and the guest book was a rough hewn square of natural wood boards, truly gorgeous. And yes, it goes without saying that she was absolutely breathtaking. It was as if it had all been plucked from the pages of a bride magazine, and instead it was all the hard work, creativity, and determination of a well-planned bride.

                              

     Well, I knew this wedding would be amazing, just like my friend. So I set out months ago to make a gift that could try to match such an event. She tactfully chose beautiful, casual summer colors: grey, yellow and teal. I began to try to put my skills to use. I chose several fabrics and set out to create a one-of-a-kind quilt for her and her new husband.

 
 
     I wanted it to be bright and fresh. I wanted them to be able to look at it and feel warmth and happiness, to render all the feelings they had on their wedding day for all the years to come. Sure, a tall order, but you know me, I love a challenge.
 

 
      So after months, and a little help from my mom (who also knows and loves this friend) I had a product I was pleased with. A beautiful heart pattern detail was the crowning jewel. I want to acknowledge the fact that I am not showing you the full quilt, because it is theirs, all theirs. Sure we get a peek but in reality I wanted to make sure they never had to share this item and what I hope it will symbolize for them. But, you get the idea.
 
 
     So I carefully placed paper throughout as I neatly folded the quilt and tied it in a simple grey bow. I gifted it in a sturdy, simple and beautiful basket and presented it in the open style you see here. I added a heart felt card and was ready...weeks in advance I might add ( a rare feat for me). And though I won't sully the piece by talking money, you know my style...I was able to accomplish all this in my true fashion and it is worth considerably more than the money put in. It's about love not money.

 
 
 
     Of course I have no problem finding room for improvement but all in all, I am truly pleased with the outcome. I can only hope she'll feel the same.
  
                                            
 
         It was a magical night, topped off with a spectacular show by Mother Nature. Truly befitting a regal wedding. I can only hope that the rest of their lives together is equally as magical, exciting, and breathtaking.
 
I love you both!
 
Simple City Sam

1 comment:

  1. Simply just beautiful all the way 'round

    ReplyDelete