Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Moving! Bunk Bed edition.

      So, we are moving. Actually, now it's more like we have moved. Everything is in the new place, but not everything is in the place it should be. Isn't that always the way? It takes forever, and everything else in life seems to fall by the wayside when you're moving. It kind of drives me crazy. My hubby and I seem to be going for some sort of national moving title, we have moved over 14 times in the almost 11 years we've been together. I mean really, is that necessary?!
 
     None the less, we moved again. In truth, it's more of an upgrade than anything else! We are getting an extra bedroom and about 300sq feet more than we had, a dishwasher and in house laundry. This time we had helpers too, which makes everything so much easier. In theory ...
 
 
     The biggest news, however, is the bunk beds (especially if you ask the girls). That's right the girls upgraded too. Now they both get a twin size, no more toddler bed for the littlest one.  And of course, let's not overlook the importance and excitement that a three rung ladder can bring! My oldest "helped" Daddy put it together...or at least unpack the boxes.
 
 
 
 
     I was skeptical to say the least. Those are enough pieces to build a safe, sturdy bunk bed? If you say so. Hubby stayed up till the wee hours of the night to put it all together, what a guy!
 
 
     The inner kid in me was brought out when the mattresses were delivered for sure. Yep, here's one of them now. Wait...what? FedEx dropped them off and I started to get all salty. These aren't what I ordered. There's no way these are going to be actual twin size mattresses. If they are, they certainly won't be comfy. Grr.
 
 
     So we unpacked to see what we really got. Holy man, was I surprised!
 
 
 
 
     Alright, once the vacuum seal was broken that baby popped out, nice and full and firm like a jack-in-the-box...well a nice firm, full jack-in-the-box...you get what I mean. It was impressive for sure. Modern technology, what's next?
  
 
     Eureka! Actual bunk beds, with actual twin size mattresses. We did it. Huzzah! The shrieks of joy from the girls upon seeing their new beds were all that I needed. It was a success. Whew, check one giant moving item off the list!
 
     I have to say, too, that I was so impressed with the delivery speed and cost. I am NOT a huge online shopper (or shopper of any kind, truth be told) so I was very hesitant. However, I was able to get these bunk beds for less than half (much less than half...actually about a third) of what the same model cost in the local "discount" furniture store, including the mattresses. What's more is that the local "discount" store quoted me a 2 week delivery time. These bad boys were fully delivered less than 48 hours later. But, "hey Sam", you say, "we thought you were all, 'buy local, blah, blah, blah'". I am, but I'm also practical. In this situation we weren't buying locally crafted hardwood bunk beds, no matter what. Not many were available and they were FAR outside our price range. So the name of the game became saving money and staying efficient. Online purchases made that possible. I even have a 3 year warranty, something that was never offered while shopping in person.
 
     So I definitely count this as a win. I saved money, we had the bunks set for our first full night in the place and the girls are beyond excited. In fact, the last three nights have been the easiest bed times we've ever experience. Please, bunk bed Gods, let this be the new norm, please.
 
     Stay tuned for more stories of our move, a new get-fit challenge I've given myself, and some more garden recipes. The new job schedule, the move, craft fairs and the Etsy store, and the full time mom thing are definitely making it more difficult to find time for the blog, but fear not. I will find time. I still find this to be a great release and I miss it terribly. Don't give up on me...I haven't given up!
 
Lots of Love.
 
Simple City Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment