Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Charting "Growth"

      The first day of Kindergarten has come and gone. I did well, no tears. She did amazingly! In fact it was all I could do to get her to allow us to accompany her all the way to the classroom, as opposed to leaving us outside school as she had suggested. Nonetheless she did it. We did it.
 
     I decided a few days ago that I needed to do something to help remember the first day of school every year! I wanted to make something special for me and her (and later her sister) to do together. So I thought about the questions that would be most changing, telling, and meaningful over the next several years of growth. I came up with three. I intend to ask her the same three questions every year and, of course, record for posterity and general overall embarrassment by her parents.
 
 
     This morning she and I sat down and went over the questions.
 
1. What is your favorite item? The thing you just can't do without?
2. What do you want to learn in school this year? What is your goal?
3. What's your life's ambition? What do you want to be when you grow up?
 
     I fully expect this to be a chore, filled with rolling eyes, in anywhere from 5-10 years from now. If that long! But I won't stop, oh no! I can't wait to see how her answers change. I can't wait to see how she reacts to her previous answers. Most of all I can't wait to see what the end of the school year brings and if she'll have mastered that hand stand!
 
 
For now we are taking it one step at a time. Mostly because that's all I can handle.
 
Simple City Sam

1 comment: