Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Pineapple Resurrected

      We didn't kill it! Yet. You all undoubtedly remember the riveting piece I wrote months ago about trying to grow a pineapple. Yeah, right. Well, we spent the next few months trying desperately to kill the poor thing, it seemed.
 
     Every time I came around the corner our cat, Noche, would have the leaves in his teeth, yanking it from the soil. We replanted that thing countless times. The girls were a bit over zealous in their watering schedule and appeared to be drowning it daily. In fact hubby was ready to throw it out. I can't say I blamed him. Actually, the only reason he didn't was because I asked him not to, to wait for our girls to help dispose of it so they would have a greater understanding to natural cycles. Blah, blah, blah. Our busy schedule erased the issue from our minds and we forgot about the task. As luck would have it, it's a good thing we didn't throw it out.  
 
     I had set the entire pot outside early this summer with the afore-mentioned intention of throwing it out. I needed to get it away from that darn cat. (Hehe, see what I did there? No? Well, my mom did, it's cool.) We let this baby enjoy the Maine summer outdoors. It got sun, rain, and (to my knowledge) no cat teeth.
 
     Lo and behold! New growth! Check it out. I noticed it two weeks ago while watering the nearby carrots. It became "all hands on deck" as we made sure to protect our new beauty. We have since secured it a spot in one of the sunniest rooms of the house, which is also conveniently closed and "off limits" to all pets- especially Noche. We rotate it so it can get optimal sunshine and we monitor it's water content better than we had before.
 
 
 
 
 
     The original parts are certainly a bit worse for the wear, but there is no mistaking that beautiful bright green new growth! I am excited and so are the girlies. We will continue to keep you posted of course.
 
The con continues.
 
Simple City Sam 

1 comment:

  1. That darn Cat- an excellent ole time Disney movie- love it just like I love Pineapple...can't wait

    ReplyDelete