Monday, April 21, 2014

Maine Summer Baby Quilt ~ Blueberries For Sal

      Of all the sewing and crafting that I do, quilting is by far my favorite. I love how it all fits together like a jigsaw puzzle. I love that it is a true expression of creativity. I love how you can use all the same fabrics in 10 quilts and have no two look alike.
 
      You've seen me make them for special occasions like weddings or baby blankets for new nephews. I'm in the process of making a few for my girls. I also really love being able to donate special items to special causes.
 
     I was fortunate enough to be able to be involved with this year's Center for Grieving Children's annual auction fundraiser. I was able to put together this baby quilt with the theme "Maine Summer Nights" in mind.
 
     The front is all cotton, the back super soft fleece. The edges are all bound with a light blue satin binding tape. The 3" squares were each individually tied, by hand, in the center. The pattern was simple and happened organically as I had not actually intended to pattern the piece at all. All the fabrics chosen were chosen due to their fulfillment of the theme. Some had Maine spring flowers like the beautiful lilacs, another evoked the feeling of the ocean and waves, while another offered a few spring birds. I wanted to make sure the piece was Maine down to the last detail.
 
     As it came together though, I kept being reminded of the book I loved from my childhood, "Blueberries for Sal". The soft, yet contrasting tones and that vivid blue brought me back over and over again to the pages of the book. Naturally, that is what I named this piece.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
      It ended up being one of my favorite quilts and I was so pleased to be able to offer it up as a donation. As I look at the photos again I am brought back to the images I remember from the pages of the book, and am now anxious for summer.
 
Here's to hoping it comes soon!
 
Simple City Sam

1 comment:

  1. I loved the book- I think I need a re-read- and I love the quilt :) Enjoy the summer

    ReplyDelete