Thursday, April 18, 2013

Anxious

     I am here, at my brother's beautiful home, in complete quiet, watching the sky gently fade from it's deep darkness to a beautiful soft brightness. The melodies of various birds are beginning to fill the air along with a gentle breeze. It's only 5:30 am but I've been up for hours now. No, it's not jet lag. I'm a mom for crying out loud- the only species other than cats that can fall asleep instantly, anywhere, anytime, in almost any position. It's because we're all anxiously waiting to hear if we'll get to meet our newest family member soon.

     I'm trying to be patient, but as many of you know that's not my strong suit. So, I'm trying to do something that is my strong suit: keeping things simple and maybe bringing in a little unexpected happiness. Let's be real new parents are on cloud nine so my "little happiness" will go un-notice...or at least I sort of hope so.

     I've been puttering around all morning. I've taken out the trash, washed the dishes, and counters, taken the dogs out, made some tea, planned a few dinners, made a grocery list...blogged. Anything to keep myself busy. I am doing this because their house is a mess? Absolutely not, in fact it is far from it. The home is tidy, clean, and shows a family with respect for themselves and their neighbors lives here. Rather, I need something to occupy my time.

     I mean really, how many of you are moms or dads? Was taking out the trash or washing a few straggling dishes top of your "to do" list? It sure wasn't on mine when my babies were brand new! Those were the things that would actually put more pressure on me. Why couldn't I maintain my home as I had been? Why did I somehow not even notice that the dog was "crossing his legs" in a plea for piddling? Because I had a bigger mission, a more engulfing mission. I was a new mom. It didn't mean I was neglecting my other responsibilities (or pets) I just meant I was trying to be the best mom I could be, and that's a hell of a learning curve you've got to fight there!

     So I will continue to putter, and I will make a few dinners when they get home, and usher friends and neighbors away politely and nonchalantly when I see the new parents getting overwhelmed but are too warm and wonderful to ask for space. Heck, I'm even going to explore this beautiful island pseudo-solo (I do know and love my sis-in-law's family too) whether they ask for space or not.

     That's part of the happy, simple plan. Make it easy for them without them even knowing it. I don't want to add to their new stress levels by making them feel like I thought their home was unkempt, or they somehow were in dire need of me. They are more than capable to handle all of it, but that would defeat the whole purpose. Believe it or not sometimes anonymity in kindness can be even more rewarding!

Wish them luck, and I'll keep you posted!

Simple City Sam

1 comment: