Friday, April 12, 2013

Strawberry Syrup, Simple

     Organic strawberries were on sale this week so I took advantage. I could tell they weren't all going to make it too long. I wanted to do something different than just freezing them, which is what I would normally do, so I opted for a fresh simple syrup...sort of. Simple syrups (often found in cocktails) are made with equal parts sugar and water. It is heated on a stove to a boil until all sugar is dissolved. Then it cools and can be used in a variety of ways. They are also very easy to infuse, as you can toss in just about anything during the boiling/dissolving period.
 

     I went for more of a "sweated" strawberry sauce. It involves far less effort, if possible. Halve the strawberries.

 
     This is quite easy when you have someone ever-eager to practice her knife skills.


 
     I know child labor is "illegal" and "unfair" but in this house I'm all for it. 
 
 
 
 
     Add half a cup of sugar, raw sugar ill work too it will just take longer to break down.
 
 
     Gently mix together.
 
 
     She's got good form!
 
 
 
     Go ahead, I dare you not to steal one.
 
 
     Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place it in the refrigerator for at least 24 hours. As the added sugar and the natural sugars in the berries begin to break down the plastic wrap will keep all of the goodness locked in and the strawberries will essentially sweat themselves.
 
 
     Ours actually sat for close to 48 hours before we used it. We poured it over homemade banana "ice cream", pumpkin bread pudding, and I added some to a cocktail (or two).
 
 
 
     So yummy! The berries were juicy and soft and the syrup was perfect!
 
It's hard to go wrong with strawberries and sugar.
Simple City Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment