Sunday, June 2, 2013

Quail The Dog

     There are plenty of days when I feel like I'm not doing well as a parent. Maybe I'm not doing all I can for my kids, I'll think. Maybe I'm doing too much and not letting them learn themselves, I wonder. There are the days when I can muster a feeling of lacking pretty quickly, especially because, as a mom, I'm really focused on being the best darn one out there.
 
     Then there are days when you get to surprise your children with a new puppy.
     After careful consideration she was named Quail. In this family we are spiritually driven (as opposed, perhaps, to religiously) and tend to believe most fully in the lessons of Native American spirituality and being. We do have Native American ancestry and I know I've always felt very connected to it, despite it's now small representation in my actual DNA. None-the-less, we all have an identified spirit animal and my oldest is a Blue Jay. The Blue Jay is know for being mischievous, impulsive, difficult, and very smart. It is also known for having an inner conflict with this being, as it is also known for being loyal and concerned for it's brethren (often). There are many stories to be found detailing these myths, legends, and beliefs. One of her favorite stories is Blue Jay Girl by Sylvia Ross. It is a perfect representation, I think, of how my oldest sees herself sometimes. In the stories, Blue Jay Girl is ultimately tempered by channeling her "inner Quail". The Quail is known to be calm, patient, fore-thinking, all things Blue Jay Girls feels she lacks but desires.
    
     So as we were tossing out names as a family and trying to decide "Quail" came out and my oldest LOVED it! From then on it was set. She's already been nicknamed "Q" by my hubby for short and is beginning to recognize the name Quail. She is so sweet, even tempered, and patient, ESPECIALLY for a puppy. I can't wait to see how she and the girls grow together.
 
 
 
 
 
 
So today was a lucky day, one when I feel like we totally nailed it! I'll definitely take that.
 
Simple City Sam
 

2 comments: