Thursday, May 30, 2013

The Floating (or Not) Shelf

      As you know we have very little space in our apartment. Beyond that I really LOVE being efficient with space and utilizing every square inch that we do have. With that in mind shelving is one of my favorite weapons. Whether it be the magical "floating shelves" or shelves in which the mysteries of support are evident, I am a fan.
 
     Shelves can be very inexpensive, utilitarian, decorative, varying lengths and sizes, and fit almost any need.
 
 
     I have a small simple one above my bed side stand. On it I am able to keep anything I need to out of reach from the girls, like staplers, pens, chapstick...you can see, the important stuff. This shelf was created entirely from left over supplies we had from the Wall Vanity project.
 
 
     I have a few decorative ones stationed near windows. These are perfect for plants and things we need to keep out of reach from the cats (that's right we have the double whammy of kids and cats). This shelf was found at a yard sale for $2!
 
 
      We have one above the toilet. It is out of reach from little hands and cats a like, but within reach for the adults. Here we keep all the necessary daily lotions, sunscreens, de-tanglers and the like. This one was also a yard sale find, $1.
 
 
      My love for shelving is no secret so every once in a while I even get one gifted to me. This was a house-warming present that's also a key rack. We keep it near the back door for easy access and for things like quarters- that are needed for the laundry, right outside the back door.
 
 
      Of course the girl's room is filled with them. We were drowning in stuffed animals and had to do something about it. So we put some shelves up and instantly earned back tons of floor and bed space.
 
 
 
      And this sweet baby! I got this at a yard sale too, for $5. It needed to have an ornamental piece removed from one end and then it was as good as new. Now it's one of my favorite items! It holds some of my most prized possessions. Its the ideal place for all those nick knacks you want to see but don't have space for otherwise.
 
 
      Obviously I keep my eyes out at yard sales, but I look for in store deals and sales too. There is always room for another shelf, in fact it's the shelf that makes the room!
 
 
Shelves galore!
 
Simple City Sam

2 comments:

  1. Hi, I also love shelves and have put them everywhere too. I saw in one of your pictures that you didn't continue across the top of the windows, that can be easily done if you turn the brackets upside down. The shelf won't hold as much weight as being supported from the bottom but for stuffed animals it would be that much extra storage. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great idea Teresa! I've done that before too! We left these shelves separated so the girls would each have their own. But something tells me we're going to need a third shelf soon, and this is just how we'll do it. Thanks so much for reading and commenting!

      Delete