Sunday, May 12, 2013

Mother's Day

     Unless you were living under a rock, you are probably aware that today is Mother's Day. It is meant to be a day when we celebrate our mothers and all they have done for us.

     My day was wonderful. My children let me sleep in and made me breakfast in bed- scrambled eggs, cantaloupe and tea. Then I was allowed time to sit quietly and read while drinking my tea, a true luxury. We went through all of the girl's clothes and re-organized their room. I know it is odd, but I really do enjoy that sort of thing! I got time to do some sewing while others cleaned. Topping off the day was an amazing dinner with my family and a trip out for ice cream. Whew! I am honestly blessed by the children (and husband) in my life and could not be happier.

     With all that said, I can't help feeling very introspective on this day too. Why should we recognize our mother's only one day a year? Now, don't get all salty, those of you who immediately thought, "I always show mom I appreciate her". I just mean why should it be deemed so, and be honest do you really show her that often? As a mom I find it to be the little things that matter the most, the flower bouquet my kids pick randomly on some given day, the glorious afternoon where they both listen and following instruction, the spontaneous hug and smooch and "love you Mommy". Those are the things we truly want, every day of the year!

     How does this day affect the single moms out there? The moms who aren't fortunate enough to have someone by their sides to help make, even this one day, a little easier for them? How does it feel to have the blessings of children, yet the burden of sole responsibility? Does this day make them feel slighted somehow, as if to say, "Yeah, it's your day, but it doesn't really get to be special for you. It's just another day."?

     What about the women, like myself, who have lost children during pregnancy, or worse yet lost children after birth? How does this day affect them? For me I think about that baby I lost in my second trimester and the pain and grief that went with it. But in truth I think about that a lot, still... more than 3 years later. I think about what my family would look like now, how it would be different. I think about how hard it is to always have to answer, "we have 2 children", when the answer could be different. And what about the mothers who have no consolation in other children? How must this day feel for them?

     How must this day feel for the women who have tried so desperately to conceive and simply can't? For the women who were unable to care for their children and placed them for adoption. And what about all those children who are without mothers, and the adults for that matter. Today must be difficult for all those who already miss their moms.

     I certainly do not mean to bring down the mood of a wonderful day, but it made me think. It put into stark relief how fortunate we truly are. It made me happy, simply happy to be who and where I am today. So that's what I'm taking from Mother's Day this year, the simple realization of what this day really does mean. It means so much. Mother's Day means, happiness, joy, grief, sadness, remembrance, gratefulness, honor, pride, and most of all LOVE. Love in all forms.


Happy Mother's Day!

Simple City Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment