Monday, May 20, 2013

Weekday Beach Day, Peaks Island

      Last Friday the girls and I took an adventure to Peaks Island. It is undoubtedly one of my favorite spots in Portland, hands down, and in general is one of my favorite places ever! There are a few small restaurants, a couple cute shops, an American Legion outpost, and some super friendly people. I have worked out there for almost a full decade and have loved every minute of it. This year, because of previously mentioned shake ups, I am unable to return to the island to work. So I am determined to spend a good deal of free time there with my girls to compensate.
 
     After years of spending thousands of dollars on boat tickets it's extra nice to get to bring a couple of free riders with me- it makes me feel like I'm getting my money's worth. Casco Bay Line's rates change seasonally and so do the schedules. I highly recommend taking a look before you head out. But what never changes it that children under 5 ride free and children 5-9 ride for half price, and that's round trip. This is great! So many places cut you off at 2 for discounted admission. Right now we ride 3 for the price of 1!
 
     So we took a 20 minute walk downtown, rode a ferry boat, looked for seals, and played on the beach for a few hours. It was magical.
 
 
     We tested the crunchiness of seaweed. 
 
 
     We looked for shells.
 
 
     We stuck our feet in the cold water. 
 
 
     We practiced throwing rocks and tried learning to skip rocks too!
 
 
 
I can't wait to do it all again.
 
Simple City Sam

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like an awesome day- I hope to jump in on one sometime-dmr

    ReplyDelete