Friday, May 10, 2013

Kalua Pork

      I've been fortunate enough to be able to go to Hawaii twice now. Thank you little brother for living there! The first time I went I was 3 months pregnant with my youngest daughter and was traveling with our oldest (then the only, in her mind) who has about 18 months old. It was hands down one of the worst experiences of my life. Smells and sounds were overwhelming. I was fatigued  and irritable. I was trying to make the best of it but really I just wanted to be home. I was also getting extra grumpy because I could see the awesomeness around me but felt restricted and unable to fully enjoy certain things.
 
     Kalua Pork was one of those things. Even in my weakened state I could see it was something I was definitely missing out on. I even tried to keep some down but with no luck. So when I returned on this last trip, flying solo and feeling well, it was on the top of my list.
 
 
 
     There are a ton of recipes that you can find with a quick Internet search. But as with any good meal, what makes it truly special is the culture around it, the history behind it and the tradition it keeps. Kalua pork is no different. Traditionally it is slow cooked in an underground earthen oven lined with banana leaves. Like every little old Italian woman and her marinara recipe, every true Hawaiian seems to have his/her own Kalua recipe. The blend of herbs and spices is usually a secret and though not many still use the underground oven (except in tourist luaus) the slow cook process and time is usually maintained.
 
 
     Brother brought me to one of his favorite spots for Kalua Pork out on the infamous North Shore of Oahu. Kono's is small, breezy, super relaxed and AMAZING! A small counter with a few smiley staff greets you and you order a "plate lunch" (standard with small salad greens, sticky rice, and a pineapple slice...of course) off the menu boards on the wall. Your meal is up in minutes and you're free to take it to go or eat in.
 

 
 
      Their style was right up my alley so I was doubly pleased when we opted to eat it and soak up the experience.
  
 

  
     The flavor and texture far exceeded my expectations, and the visit with my brother on the North Shore made it a truly epic day!
 
 
      It was so good I even had it with my poached eggs for breakfast a few mornings later!
 

 
 
I'm already scheming a way to create my own version of Kalua Pork, because there is no way I'll be able to go long with out that flavor! I'll definitely keep you posted.
 
Simple City Sam
 


No comments:

Post a Comment