Thursday, May 9, 2013

Pallet Window Boxes

      Spring is in the air! I am really looking forward to planting this year. I am in love with my urban garden. Last year we made our first venture into pallet gardening and did pretty well! We certainly had our pitfalls but overall had tons of veggies all summer. This year we will again be pallet gardening, and making some much need adjustments and improvements to the plan. There will be more on this when we actually get to planting, probably around the Memorial Day weekend.
 
     One new thing we are doing this year is pallet window boxes. I love to upcycle and recycle, you all know that by now! So pallets are great. These are beat up and worn, which I personally love. They have enough spacing to allow for adequate drainage while also having enough support to withhold the weight of the soil and plants. I salvaged these from a "free pallet" stack. I asked my hubby to cut the bottom and top off of one pallet and BAM!, I had 2 window boxes.
 
     
     My oldest has been begging to plant flowers this year again. I love this idea! So, Daddy put one of the window boxes right outside the window that the kid table is next to, so every time they sit down for a meal or snack at their table they will see the flowers. She is thrilled and already making a list of the flowers she wants!
 
 
     My window box is right outside the kitchen window and will be filled with fresh herbs. In the past I have kept fresh herbs in pots, which is a great method that I am happy to have employed. I could walk outside and get fresh herbs for cooking easily. Now I will be able to actually reach out of my window while cooking and grab what I need!
 
 
     Total cost was $0 and I am over the moon. Fresh herbs are a big money saver and a favorite of chefs everywhere. Also, allowing my oldest to explore, plant, and nurture all through her own desire is fantastic. I can't wait!
 
It really is the little things...
 
Simple City Sam 

No comments:

Post a Comment