Monday, May 13, 2013

Homemade Veggie Burgers

     So, I am by no means a vegetarian, but I do actually enjoy a good veggie burger. What's more is that because of my strict, "nothing but local grass fed beef" position, I often default to a veggie burger when at a restaurant. The problem with that is that most of those veggie burgers taste like saw dust, or basil, or some weird combo of the two. I was dying for a recipe I could make a home.
 
      I found this recipe on Pintrest and thought I'd give it a go. It was a good start but there were a few things I didn't like about it. First, I needed a recipe good for the whole family so the use of jalapenos and cayenne was out. After the first go round, I decided the taste of the tomato paste was to overwhelming, too. I also wanted the quinoa to be more present. So, I made some adjustments.
 
Ingredients
3/4 cup raw quinoa
1/2 cup finely chopped onion (red or white)
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 cup cooked diced sweet potato
1- 15 oz. can black beans, rinsed and drained (or 1/2 heaping cup of dry beans, cooked)
1 egg, lightly beaten
 ¾ cup corn kernels (fresh or thawed frozen)
½ cup fresh chopped cilantro
1 ½ Teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
salt and pepper to taste
½ cup rolled oats
¼ cup wheat flour (or All Purpose)
    
     First, if you are using dry beans, get those cooking. Also put on your quinoa (following packaging instructions for cooking), and get your sweet potatoes into boiling water. Once the potatoes are soft enough to break with a fork they can be drained and set aside. After the beans are soft and fully cooked they can also be set aside, and the quinoa maybe set aside when it is done too. If you are using frozen corn, take the measured amount out to thaw.
 
     Next, sautee the onion and garlic in a pan with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Cook until onions are fully translucent, but be careful not to burn the garlic.
 
     In a large mixing bowl, mash up the black beans. You can use a potato masher, fork, or whatever works. Add the sweet potatoes and mash those up too. The potatoes are going to get really mashed as we go, they are the primary base, so don't go too crazy just yet.
 
     Add the onion and garlic, and mix. Add the quinoa, and mix. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix well after each addition. The end result is going to be a lumpy veggie paste. Admittedly it doesn't look super appetizing...yet.

 
 
     Take the mixture in your hands (coat hands with a little oil if you want to keep it from sticking to you) and form it into patties. It actually molds really easily. I like to make full size ones for the adults and little sliders for the kids, they like the special treat. I get 5 of each (or two full meals, and a lunch) typically, and the adult ones are really good size (approx. 8 oz.). If I make all adult sized ones I can get 8, easily. Place molded burgers on a sheet tray or a plate.
      
 
 
 
     Next, wrap the tray tightly with plastic wrap and let sit for at least 6 hours. I find it best to make these the night before we anticipate having them. However, I have made them the morning of and they came out just fine.
 
     When you're ready to eat, grill them in a grill pan or sautee pan with a little bit of oil. The oil really helps crisp the outside, which help the burger keep shape. Let them cook, on medium for about 6-8 minutes on each side, you want it to cook throughout.
      
 
     No, I did not intentionally cook these in the shape of Mickey Mouse.
 

 
 
     We like to serve them with homemade sweet potato fires, or plantain chips. I usually dress my burger with cheese, lettuce, tomato, cucumber and spicy mustard. Mmmm, so good! Even my kids and husband love them, and that is a feat when it comes to veggie burgers!!
 
Give these a whirl, I promise you'll love them!
 
Simple City Sam

1 comment: