Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Pearl Harbor Historic Sites

 
     On one of my random weekday adventures I decided to check one thing off my "must see" list and visit Pearl Harbor. I have a degree in archaeology and an enormous love of history and respect for the military (probably due to both parents serving, just a guess). It's not really a big surprise that visiting a historic site would actually, in fact, be my idea of a good time. What is more is that I actually prefer going to museums and such on my own. I'm the kind of person who wants to read every placard, study every hand written card, and experiment with every "hands-on" exhibit they have to offer.
 
     I was not prepared for the Pearl Harbor Historic Sites...
 
 
Looking toward the U.S.S. Arizona Memorial
 
Looking toward U.S.S. Bowfin Memorial
      
     The vastness of the site itself is awesome. The harbor is huge in comparison to the small fishing harbors of New England that I am used to. One can imagine the expanse there on land of military buildings easily. The surrounding area, known as Pearl City, is still bustling with multi-cultural offerings and amenities that one would expect near a military facility. 
 
U.S.S. Arizona Memorial
   
Middle of the Visitor's Center
 
     But the entirety of the grounds were silent. It was actually a very busy day. Tours for the U.S.S. Arizona and U.S.S. Bowfin were sold out and the museum and gift shop were full of people. But still, everyone was quiet as if we all had the same sad feeling of... remorse, perhaps.
 
 
    
     The museum itself was beautiful. It is split between two small buildings with open concepts and structures. One building focuses on and details life on Oahu and in the world prior to the war and the attacks. The second building focuses on the attack itself and the very immediate aftermath. Throughout the exhibits one is surrounded by the fragrance, temperature and feelings of the breeze and overall being of  the Hawaiian landscape you are now a part of. It is difficult not to imagine yourself there on December 7, 1941. Above is the original draft of the "Date That Will Live in Infamy" speech, complete with presidential notation. Pretty amazing.
 
 
     The curators did an amazing job trying to detail the roles of all citizens affected during the attacks, from women, to children, Japanese immigrants to surviving servicemen. It was some of the most difficult information to get through, yet of course, some of the most compelling.
  
 
 
 
     This collage welcomes visitors to the first building. It is here that I was ultimately struck with the notion that some, many or all of these folks may not have made it to December 8th. 
 
 
     This collage bids you farewell as you leave the second building. Here my suspicions were confirmed and I was able to learn a little bit more about those who had welcomed me in at the onset. I read of those whose lives were lost and those who had survived. It was often difficult to determine who had (or has) suffered more.
 
 
 
     I spent just over 3 hours in the museum, which was a cost free visit (I'm still me!). I did not take either tour out to either wreckage. I had a difficult enough time on land. I knew I would not be able to withstand the connection to those lost out over their watery tombs. I found myself with teary eyes on more than one occasion, overwhelmed by my surroundings, as it was. In addition, it saved me money.
 
     I will never forget this trip. It was powerful, humbling, amazing, awe-inspiring, eerie, beautiful and so much more all at once. I am truly thankful to have been able to experience some small part of the energy there.
 
It is a place I wish we could we all visit in our own time.
 
Simple City Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment