Saturday, May 4, 2013

Pineapples...in Hawai'i

      Alright, well, I'm back. I'm just beginning to feel more human and less zombie-like. I am super excited to get back to my blog, which I missed very much, and to share some of my trip too! So let's get cracking.
 
 
     As you know we are experimenting with growing our very own pineapple. So I was sworn by oath of an almost 5 year old to "visit the pineapple farm". Being that I was under oath I made it a priority. I got to spend a delightful afternoon with my brother driving through the pineapple fields and exploring the island. There were literally fields as far as the eye could see, all in various stages of growth. The fields above are all new, very small plants (like our back home...minus the cat teeth marks).
 
 
     There is obviously a ton of information to be found and scoured about Hawaii's pineapple industry. Reports vary widely as to the significance of it's size globally. One site reports a mere 2% supply to the world, while another boasts 60% of canned pineapple supply to the world. Sites even vary as to when the fruit, indigenous to South America, even reached the islands, with dates varying from the mid 16th century to the early to late 19th century. Regardless, all sites note it's importance in Hawaiian history and present economy. My visit to the Pearl Harbor Memorials and Museum (which will be shared soon) even highlighted the significance of the fruit. After the attacks on the bases nearly all field workers were pulled from the fields and brought into service to help with the war effort and re-stabilization of the island. School children were given time off from school to tend the fields and help in the cannery so that they could in turn help the war efforts too! The reach and scope of the industry and the plant itself is truly amazing.
 
 
     Slightly more mature plants are seen in these fields. The acres and acres of growing land are mere yards from the road. This picture was taken from the car. The large, dug ditches are the only real deterrent to wayward motorists drunkenly taking out a whole field.
 
 
     The Dole Visitors Center was enormous and a lot of fun. The huge indoor market is gorgeous and filled with individual local vendors, as well as just about any tourist- type gift you could possibly want. Including pick your own pearls, leis, of course farm fresh pineapples and locally grown (some at Dole) coffee, and t-shirts of any variety. A person could get lost in there and be perfectly content.
 
     The outside was exquisitely manicured and well maintained. We found amazing "ornamental" pineapples used throughout and I was blown away by these really cool red pineapples. Apparently they are not edible (or used that way, I guess) but are vibrant and beautiful and favored in many of the vacation home landscaping locally.
 
     There was also a pineapple field maze for kids. Of course I didn't have mine with me, but from the shrieks of laughter I could here through the living wall, it sounded awesome!
 
 
 
     I sent pictures, reporting back to the girls. They were thrilled to see the fields and couldn't believe their eyes! Neither could I for that matter. It was a great day spent (especially with my little brother) and even better memories made!
 
You'll see more from this day in the up coming posts. Thanks for sticking around, it sure is nice to be back!
 
Simple City Sam
 

No comments:

Post a Comment