Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Valentines To Go

     Now that my oldest is in school I have a new found appreciation for the involvement my mom had in my school. I'm faced with many of the same obligations, volunteer opportunities, commitments and "group activities" that so many other parents are faced with. Valentine's Day is certainly a great example of that!

     It's not like you can send your kid to school and have her be the only one not giving out valentines, she'd feel left out and by now it's almost a right of passage. I don't want to spend a small fortune on something she (and everyone else) is just going to throw away. I don't want her to learn to get wrapped up in the absurd consumerism that drives "holidays" now. I mean really, how many of us know the actual story of St. Valentine or the fact that he's also the patron saint of the plague? My goal, as with all things, is to simplify and enjoy the moments.

     So 3 weeks ago we started making our own valentines. No, they aren't uber fashionable cards that I whipped up all on my own via help from Pinterest. That would defeat all purposes. They are cards that my oldest and I planned before making, a card with a heart made of crepe paper with stickers (some of her favorite materials) and a temporary tattoo on the inside- we like tattoos. They were all crafted by her (except for the written message), she chose the gift to place inside and signed her name to all 30 cards she made! She is beyond proud of herself. Each one was truly made with love. We would make 3-4 a night,  maybe every other night. We took it in stages and took our time. Planning is a wonderful thing. When we finally finished them she was bursting at the seems with excitement, pride, joy, and accomplishment.

 

     She also asked if we could make a snack for the class (oh boy, a "volunteer opportunity", yeah). Of course I said yes, she used her manners and everything. So,again, we planned it out and she decided on Rice Krispie treats. That was a bonus for me because they are so easy to make and they are equally as easy to make with "help" from a 4 1/2 year old. So we set out to get what we needed. Butter and Rice Krispies are basically staples in my house so we only had to get marshmallows. Double bonus!

     We made them the night before (tonight) so they'd be fresh and packed them up. Now, I don't know about you, but honestly, for me the biggest reason I don't like bringing group snacks is tracking down the dish. You have to remind the teacher (or your kid, which is never good) to please put it aside and/or send it back with your child. Or you have to call your friend 40 times before she gets you back your casserole dish. If you opt for the paper plate, "I don't need it back" route, then you have to bring like 9 paper plates with you. Those things can barely hold a dozen treats before they fold under the pressure or start looking like the leaning tower of Pisa. So I came up with a better plan.

     I recycled a hinged shirt box. I save all my gift boxes and reusable gift bags, there is no point in wasting. I buy wrapping paper MAYBE once a year, otherwise I typically have any wrapping need right on hand. In fact, at this point I probably have more boxes than I could ever use! So I simply took one that was hinged (has the top attached) and lined it with wax paper. Now I have a shaped container (so nothing gets damaged) that has a lid (not 2 pieces to track down) and I don't even want it back (so there!). This is perfect! Full, easy to carry, protected and never coming back to me again. Hooray! Success!

     My oldest was involved, happy, and fulfilled. I spent almost nothing to give all her friends and classmates personal valentines. Lastly, the weeks before the holiday were spent having fun with this project and enjoying the moments creating together with my daughter, moments I think most of us miss.  It was wonderful!

 

 


I'd say I got my valentine a little early this year!

Simple City Sam

1 comment: