Friday, February 1, 2013

I Made It Through January

     I made it through January. I feel like that in itself is a huge accomplishment. I always feel like January is the toughest month to get through. There is so much to do, as always, but it's also compounded by tax preparations, school financial aid applications, recovering from the holidays and all that gets neglected then, and, of course, the dreaded New Year's Resolution. Ugh, how many times have I vowed to do (or not do) something and make a valiant effort all the way to January 8th? Too many to count is the answer.

     This year my approach was different. I resolved to find something I could stick to long term that benefited me in some way, any way. I didn't set a predetermined goal, I didn't buy a gym membership, I didn't create a new, unrealistic budget. I just vowed to find something. I also didn't start on January 1st, I wanted a running start and aimed to changed things up in the last weeks of December (I felt so much less pressure this way-oddly). That's when I ran with the advice of friends and started this blog. I know I mentioned them before, but my friends are truly amazing and have known me for a very long time. They are encouraging yet challenging, caring yet tough, and far flung but always there. So when Jess, Meg and Steph suggested the idea of a blog, I listened. I gave it a lot of thought and even a little research. What did I have to lose?

     I decided to give it a go and see if it was something that I could stick to. For a week I wrote pieces, edited and built a cache of information and posts to present to the online public at large. Yikes! When I finally shared that first link on Facebook I had 5 posts up and felt like they really represented me and my point of view. I was proud of myself. More than that I was really enjoying myself.

     Well, I am happy to report that I HAVE stuck with it, posting almost everyday, which matches my goal of 5 times a week. I am still finding great pleasure in the writing and sharing as well as the general feedback. I am thrilled to have 25 followers and a handful of e-mail subscribers. My mind is spinning with ideas and topics I want to cover. Most of the time the only thing slowing me down is actually recreating a product I already have just for demonstration purposes, which really doesn't sit well with me or my philosophy. So rest assured there are many more posts on the way. I hope they continue to help and entertain someone. So, I do believe I have fulfilled this year's resolution and the rest of the year will only serve to prove that!

I hope your resolutions have been just as successful!


Simple City Sam

2 comments:

  1. Sam, you've done a great job and I have to say I check my email daily for your updates. Your information has been more than helpful and insightful and has helped me take a much closer look at HOW I live vs. how I WANT to live. Thanks for giving me the tools to get there!! Keep up the great work and the info coming! :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jess, I couldn't have done it without you!!!

    ReplyDelete