Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Baked Apples

     I love apple pie, apple crisp, and warm apple anything really. The problem is that they are usually just filled with butter and sugar and that doesn't really do me any good. I am trying to eat as healthy as possible and still actually shed a few pounds that I'd prefer not to have. So I decided to give baked apples a shot, but do them my way. I started with a beautiful Granny Smith apple because I like the way they hold up in baking. Then I filled it with a delicious honey, nut and oats filling. I really enjoyed these and they were much healthier than the typical brown sugar and butter concoction.

Ingredients
4 apples 
1/2 cup oats
1/2 cup chopped nuts (we used Brazil nuts and I crushed them by hand)
1/4 cup raisins
1/3 cup honey
Spices to taste, I used cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg
  
Preheat oven to 350 deg F.

Step 1: Mix together all ingredients in a small bowl
Step 2: Core 4 apples and place in baking tray. I lined mine with foil for easier cleaning with the honey.
Step 3: Fill apples and bake for approx. 25-30 minutes. Cover with foil after 10-15 min to prevent charring.
 


They were awesome and the perfect desert, gooey and delicious!!!!

Simple City Sam


No comments:

Post a Comment