Monday, January 14, 2013

Kale Chips

     I flipping LOVE kale chips. My girls do too. In fact, they are my youngest's favorite snack. She literally jumps up and down when I make them, and they have become my "go to" snack at movie time instead of popcorn. The only downside to kale chips comes when and if you have a child who is still wearing diapers. If you don't understand what I'm saying it's safe to assume you won't encounter said issue and we can all just move on from here.

     I have had several friends ask for kale chip recipes. I feel badly giving them the instruction because it can barely be called a recipe in my mind. Never-the-less, they all seem to have luck after trying out my method. Kale chips, as with most things, require a bit of attention to achieve what you're looking for. Attention, and not much else.

     Alright, so in case you haven't gathered as much yet, I go for simple and easy. This recipe is in keeping with the theme. Prep time will be about 5 minutes and cook time will be roughly 20-30 minutes.


Kale Chips
preheat oven 350 deg F



Step 1: Take a bunch of kale and separate the stalks. (If pulled fresh from a garden, it may be cut right below the leaves). Wash the stalks.



Step 2: Pull the leaves from the stalks. At this point, rip the leaves roughly, as well. It's true that the kale will shrink as it bakes, however the full bunch is a lot of kale just the same. I am actually going to split this in two and refrigerate half of it in a plastic container, giving me a second serving later this week or next.



Step 3: Pat the leaves dry with a paper towel. This is CRUCIAL. This is a "make or break" moment! The leaves must be dry!



Step 4: Place leaves on a baking tray. Coat lightly in olive oil*, salt and pepper. (If the leaves are still wet they will not coat evenly or properly) Place in oven for 10 minutes. *Any oil can be used here and I've had success with Canola before. I just prefer the flavor olive oil to any of the others.


  
Step 5: After 10 minutes, toss the leaves and place back in the oven for 10 more minutes . Getting air around all parts of the leaves will help them cook evenly and crisp without burning. Repeat up to 2 more times. My girls and I like them extra crispy so I usually cook mine for about 25-28 minutes (so I toss mine twice). MOST people seem to prefer them right around the 20 minute mark.



Step 6:  Consume. Preferably in your most comfy Elmo "jammies".



     I will, usually, only make enough for one serving at a time. They will stay crispy and yummy for about 6 hours, unrefrigerated. After that, they usually start to get chewy. Also, they can be pretty crumbly. My youngest almost always has a kale chip "gote" on her face and a "dusting" on her hands and shirt. It's worth it, though. The bunch cost $2.99 at the local grocery store. During the summer I will get a seedling 6 pack at the Farmer's Market for around $5 or so and grow my own. Then I will be up to my elbows in kale, but for now, it's the market and grocery store. Even still, it's a great price for 2 healthy, crunchy, salty snacks, that my kids love. Simple. 


Happy snacking.

Simple City Sam 


P.S. Remember to share this recipe and anything else you see here with your friends and family! I truly appreciate all the support and followers I gain on a daily basis. Please hit the "Join this site" button in the upper right corner if you haven't already. Thank you so very much!

1 comment:

  1. we are all loving kale so much lately that I am considering putting in our newfangled aquaponic system soon

    ReplyDelete