Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Citrus Vinegar

     Today was an exciting day! At least for someone that doesn't get a lot of excitement in her life it was. Today I got to test out my new orange infused vinegar. I am loving it! Why do I need orange infused vinegar, you ask? Well, because I'm not a fan of the smell of vinegar.

     Vinegar has hundreds of uses just for cleaning purposes, let alone cooking uses. The problem is that when sanitizing and deodorizing with vinegar everything just ends up smelling like...well, vinegar. I'm sorry, I don't want to live in pickle, or smell like one.

     I've infused oils and vinegars many times before but always for cooking purposes (ooh, we'll have to cover that topic soon too!). The idea just clicked one day. I could infuse a vinegar strictly for cleaning.

     I grabbed a bottle with a cap that would seal air tightly. Then I peeled 3 oranges (giving some of the fruit to my girls for snack and the rest for myself) and stuffed the peels into the bottle. Trying to stuff the peels into a bottle already containing vinegar would have been a nightmare. Once the bottle was full of peels I then topped it off with the white vinegar (much easier). Then I put it under the sink and let it sit for 2 weeks, hence my anticipated excitement.

                                                        

     When I pulled it out and opened it up the fragrance was crisp, orange-y and clean. The fainest of lingering vinegar smells was there too, but not enough really to notice. I added this mixture to my in-trial-stage homemade dish soap and was so impressed. I still had the grease cutting power of the vinegar but my sink water, hands and plates didn't smell of it. Success!

     I immediately grabbed another empty bottle to make another infusion. This vinegar I have infused with lemon. I will put it in a spray bottle with water and have a kitchen cleaner that will be unstoppable and smell divine! The cleaning power of vinegar and lemon really can't be beat. I am thrilled to have another, super simple weapon in my cleaning arsenal.


Happy cleaning.

Simple City Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment