Tuesday, January 29, 2013

"I Carried A Watermelon"

     My girls really love fruit and watermelon is high on the list of favorites. In fact, all melons are high on the list. The problem is that I hate cutting those little smiley face wedges, watching the juice run down their little arms and onto my couch and their clothes, and watching them throw out half the melon because their little faces can't get any closer to the rind. So, of course, I simplified.

     Now every time we buy a melon I cut it up right away into bite size pieces. The melon lasts a lot longer and has other hidden benefits too.  After it is cut it goes into plastic containers and goes on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator. This way, when the girls are hungry, they can go to the refrigerator and get their own snack. It fosters independence and gives me and few extra minutes in the day. This is also facilitated by the fact that they have a kitchen drawer full of their own plastic bowls, plates, and cups. Kids like to feel like they are helping and have independence within the family. Having their own drawer has been such a stroke of genius in that department. Note: I also make them keep track of the bowl. They only get one snack bowl a day (it can be rinsed or wiped out) because there is no need for 8 "dirty" kid bowls in the sink at the end of the day!

Step 1:  Cut the ends off the melon. Try to get all the rind without taking a lot of the fruit with it. Start with a small cut, you can always take more off, but not less.

Step 2: Working from top to bottom, run your knife along the curve of the melon and cut off all the rind. Again, this will take practice to get good at it, so start slow and shallow, you don't want to cut it down to a toothpick before you get to cut pieces. It's hard for me to get all the way to the bottom, so I usually have to flip it over at the very end and shave off some spots I missed. As always, a good sharp knife is key.
  



Step 3: Now cut the melon in half so it's easier to work with. (If your family won't consume a whole melon in under a week you can freeze one half or wrap it in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator to keep it longer.) With your knife, slice horizontally through the melon twice. Then cut from the top down, usually 3-4 cuts, rotate 90 degrees and cut again. This final cut should give you bite size pieces. You will have essentially built your own melon "Rubik Cube". If the melon is smaller or has a hollow center (like a cleaned cantaloupe), the horizontal cuts can usually be avoided. 

Step 4: Pack the pieces in plastic and stick them in the refrigerator. Reserve any liquid you are able to save ( I even scrape the rinds into the bowl) in a separate bowl.


Step 5: This is one of those hidden bonuses. Take the reserved liquid and mash up any chunks or bits of the melon that may still be large. Then pour into reusable popsicle containers and put in the freezer. I LOVE these popsicle makers because they have the little straw on the bottom. As the juice melts it collects in the reservoir and the kids can suck it through the straw. Much smaller messes are made this way and they get to use a straw, which they love!!


     With this method I get to buy in bulk (whole melons instead of pre-cut or fruit cups- much cheaper), give my kids an avenue to be self sufficient, reduce waste, and get organic sugar free juice popsicles!!

Simple City Sam

2 comments:

  1. Where did you find the straw Popsicle makers??? That is a fabulous idea!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm trying to remember now...they truly are wonderful. It must have been a bargain becasue I bought 2 packs. I honestly want to say it was at Bed Bath & Beyond, but I got them a couple of years ago and have yet to see them again. If I ever do I'll post where!!

    ReplyDelete