Friday, January 25, 2013

Yes, It's Freezing Out And Yes, I'm Still Walking

     I am the first person to say that I am not a fan of the cold weather. I have even been heard saying that the only reason I live in a cold weather city is because my husband and kids love the winter. This is only partly true as I do truly love Portland for so many reasons, but I really do not like the cold.

     That being said, I take at least two walks every single day with my kids. This was a calculated maneuver. When we moved back to Portland around 16 months ago we opted to move into a place on the higher end of our budget and be within 3 blocks to our daughter's school. We feel very passionately about her school and consider it one of our real priorities. We knew that living that close to school would allow us to sell one of our vehicles and truly live the way we said we always would. Doesn't everybody say that, "...if I lived in the city, I know I'd walk everywhere..."?! Well, we actually did it. Saving money on the side without registrations, insurance, gas, and maintenance was just an amazing added bonus.

     We also knew that I would be home full time with our youngest and working the drop off/ pick up angle with my oldest. During the summers I work full time, but my job is a split schedule from my husband's schedule so the vehicle is always available. More than that, I returned to a fabulous long standing relationship with The Peaks Island House Restaurant located in Casco Bay, so the ferry terminal is well within walking distance. I walked or rode my bike to work every day last summer.

     So, for the past 16 months now we've be doing what we always said we would. We simplified. We walk everywhere we can and only use the vehicle when necessary. I feel proud of myself for sticking with it. There are a lot of things "I would do if I ever...", that I've never done, but this isn't one of them. And I feel like it's a big one. I personally know several people who have told me they just could never make the commitment. I'm glad we could. In the summer we walk everywhere! We walk to Farmer's Market, the playground, the beach, the drug store, our friends' houses, just around. It feels amazing and my kids rarely ask to watch something on TV.

     Now, don't get me wrong, we don't go out for long walks when it's freezing cold outside. We do, however, walk to school everyday. It takes us a minimum of 10 minutes to get ready in the morning with the hats, scarves, mittens, snow pants (sometimes), boots and jackets. Then my youngest gets loaded in the stroller and wrapped in a blanket. Depending on how quickly my oldest moves it takes us 5-7 minutes to walk our shortest route. It takes me about 4 minutes on the way back. We are safe, we get fresh air, we get a little blood moving. These are all good things in my book. So, yeah, even on a cold day I count it as a major personal win.

Everyday I'm glad I made this huge commitment to simplifying and living my life the way I always said I would.

Simple City Sam


No comments:

Post a Comment