Monday, January 21, 2013

The Cutting Board Conundrum

     I have found that sometimes the easiest way to simplify is to make sure I have the proper equipment or tool for the job. One of the best examples of this for me was our cutting board situation. Years ago (before kids and newly married) I was hooked on all the trendy kitchen gear. I had 3 over sized cutting boards , all in different shapes, sizes, and types of wood. I was constantly scrubbing and disinfecting the boards, which was a pain in the buns because each trendy kind of wood had it's own trendy way of cleaning it. Then I had a couple of glass ones too, but they were obnoxious to use because the were loud and fragile. There was no rhyme or reason to the boards. They were just "cute" or "nice". By the time prep was over for any given meal my sink was full of cutting boards alone!

     Something had to give. Then I thought about all those countless restaurants I've worked in over the years. Theirs were always plastic. It's durable, easy to clean and easy to store. They also used a color coding system, not because it was cute but because it was practical.

     If you only ever cut chicken, meat, fish, and/or vegetables on one specific board, and nothing else on that board, the risk of cross contamination is non-existent. I started looking for something practical along these new lines that would work for me. I found a four pack of thin plastic cutting sheets. They are every bit as strong as a big board and take up a fraction of the space. Even better they were color coded. Even better than that, they were $10 for the set! I found mine at Bed, Bath & Beyond, but I have since seen them basically anywhere kitchen stuff is sold.

     Now they store neatly on top of my microwave and you can barely see them there. They can go into any dishwasher or be washed down quickly and easily by hand. To keep them from moving around on my counter I just place a damp paper towel flat under the sheet.

Red: Beef, pork and red meats
Yellow: Chicken and poultry
Green: Vegetables, fruits, and cheeses
Blue: Fish and sea foods
(These classifications are almost universal...I'm not reinventing the wheel here, just simplifying.)

                                                          


     With these four sheets I have streamlined my kitchen and made my cleanliness and sanitation that much more efficient. They are always at the top of my list when I'm asked what does every kitchen really NEED?

Simple City Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment