Wednesday, January 2, 2013

12 Must Have Household Ingredients

     I can remember my grandmother's pantry always having a few items that never seemed to run low. I thought she rarely used them. Come to find out they were staples, used so regularly that she never failed to replaced them before running out. I have discovered a few of these items myself.

    
12 Must Have Household Ingredients
Borax ($4.19)
Super Washing Soda  ($3.49)
Fells-Naptha Soap ($.99, 6oz bar)
Glycerin ($4.29, 6oz)
Bleach ($1.59, 60oz)

White Vinegar
Baking Soda
Coarse Salt

Lemons                                                
Flour
Sugar
Eggs
  
**There are always a few tricks to being even more economical. Remember to buy in bulk and take advantage of in-store sales and coupons when available.  Also,store dry goods in a dry, cool place (cabinets, laundry room or dry cellar); many of these items will last forever if you just keep them in the proper environment.


    Borax will be use in almost any laundering project and is a helpful pesticide, too. Super washing soda, glycerin and Fels-Naptha soap will help round out any of your soap or detergent making needs. Fels-Naptha is great for preventing poison ivy and the like, too. They can sometimes be more difficult to find than the other items, which is another reason why I list them as "must haves". Bleach, super washing soda, and baking soda are all amazing stain  removers and cleansers, in addition to numerous other uses. In fact, baking soda can aid in everything from drain cleaning to carpet deodorizing to tooth whitening.  


Lemons are not only wonderful for marinades, drinks, and dressings, but also for household cleaning and so much more! Check out what The Old Farmer's Almanac has to say about the usefulness of lemons. My favorite use for them is in cooking. I really can't think of anything better than fresh grilled Swordfish steaks that have been marinated in lemon juice and Allagash White beer (one of my favorites,).* Flour, sugar, eggs and salt are the basis for practically all baking recipes, ever. White vinegar has almost unlimited uses in the kitchen and bathroom it seems!

     Nearly all of these inexpensive items will be bought on a sporadic basis. A bag of flour maybe every couple of weeks. A box of Borax or bottle of glycerin, maybe just once a year.
    
 Of course, there are many other items that are nice to have on hand. A bag of rice is always useful for making a meal or soup stretch. A bag of chocolate chips will permit cookies, glazes, drizzles or hot cocoa easily. An extra bottle of distilled water and a few of your favorite soap bars will mean that when you unexpectedly run out of soap, you won't have to go shopping to make more.

     When I hear or read about a new cleaner I want to try, I don't need to go to the store. I can capitalize on my curiosity and spontaneity and do it right away. When it's raining I can whip out a quick cookie or snack recipe and involve the girls in a baking project, without loading everybody up in the rain for supplies.
    
      In any case, it has made my life infinitely simpler and easier to have them on hand. It turns out my grandmother may have been onto something. With these 12 items I am ready for any project, spill, or emergency snack!

Simple City Sam


*Allagash is truly one of my favorite breweries. They are local and long standing here in the city of Portland. Part of living simply is also enjoying what you have around you. Again, that was part and parcel to us moving back here, I encourage everyone to buy local whenever possible. http://www.allagash.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment