Friday, January 11, 2013

"I Don't Know How It Works!...Where'd You Put The Manual?"

     I am one of those people who reads the manual. I know, shock and awe, for those of you who know me, but none-the-less true. I figure there must be a reason for it, otherwise it wouldn't be included. Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not totally crazy...well...either way, I don't open a box, pull out the manual, and read it cover to cover with a nice cup of tea! I use it like it's intended to be used, as a reference and guide.
    
     Yes, I will grant you, some of the information provided in these manuals is, let's say, relatively obvious. Like the instruction not to drop your hair dryer in the tub...duh! BUT, some of the information is rather useful, go figure. I never would have found the spare clip in the secret compartment under the kid's carseat if I hadn't read the manual. I also wouldn't have been able to cross check the serial number on the oven when I read about a recall, considering the sticker on the back of the oven itself was completely illegible.

     Reading the manual has even saved me money from time to time. When the remote to the TV "died" my husband was ready to head out and buy a new one. I'm sure he would have looked for an inexpensive one, but that's just not my style. Before he headed out I had him get the manual. Lo-and-behold! The remote just needed to be reset. That's a win for mom. Of course the biggest win of all, is not having to constantly answer the question, "this just broke, do you know how it goes back together?".

     So what's the big deal, just keep the manual, right? This is easier said than done sometimes. Some of these manuals are roughly 4000 pages long, written in 21 languages (English is in there somewhere, probably?!), and may or may not be accompanied by "extra" pieces for the described item. Great...

     Actually, it is simple. Like everything else, for me it's about streamlining and efficiency, as well as simplification. So, whenever I open a package with a manual I do a few things. First, I locate my language. On the fold out jobbers this can take a minute or two, sometimes, but stay at it. Second, I always scan it quickly, making sure there's nothing major that jumps out, like a giant warning. Lastly, and MOST importantly, I stick it in a clear page protector, label it, and stick it in my 3-ring binder.

    
 I have everything in this binder. Everything from our appliances to our electronics to our kids' toys. It's all in the binder, clearly labeled. I have gone further in this book and actually marked out categories, so I can keep all the kid items together, for instance. Each page protector holds the manual, any spare parts, warranty cards, and registrations. I keep it on the book shelf with all my cookbooks so it's out of the way but easily accessible.
     While, I do currently have them all in one binder, I am looking to separate the kids' stuff into a binder alone. Every toy, crib, table, and chair of any kind comes with more than enough information for use. Keeping it together and separate will allow for smaller binders, too. The 4" model, seen here, is just starting to reach max capacity. Besides, my husband already stole the idea and has made one for all his power tools and the like and keeps it in the basement of the apartment building, so it's on hand.


May you never have to wonder if were still under warranty, again!
Simple City Sam

1 comment:

  1. Side note: I have kept every manual to every toy that Landon received and when it came to selling some of his toys, I was able to get more money for them because I actually had the manual and spare parts.

    ReplyDelete