Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Mamas Don't Get Sick Days

     Ugh! I feel like I could curl up and sleep for days. The aches, chills, fever and all the other fun stuff that accompanies the flu are kicking my behind. It's one of those rare days where I wish we did have cable. I would love to sit in the crook of the couch with my favorite blanket, throw on some trashy TV and fade in and out of sleep. I'm a mom though, so that ain't gonna happen!

     So I will be taking it easy today instead and keeping it extra simple. I did manage to get my oldest to school and back, and my mom and grandmother were here all morning so we also got a fair amount of crafting done (thanks, in honesty, to DayQuill, which I usually avoid like the plague...but I appear to have the plague so I'm making an allowance.). I am counting myself as being up on the day! However, now I want to wallow in a dark cave...alone, well maybe with a cat warming my feet, for the rest of the day. So, that's my plan, otherwise I'll be sick for weeks.

     Keeping it simple is all about just that, simplicity. I was fortunate enough to have my mom and grandmother here today, so they helped entertain my youngest. Now it's nap time so I plan to snooze a little too. But what about tonight? There is dinner to make, a household to run, and 3 other humans living here, all in need of some form of attention. My answer is, too bad! I'm sick! We tell our kids, family and coworkers to stay home and rest up when they are sick, so why not moms? I want to teach my girls, who may be future mothers, to treat themselves well, too. I want to show them that you can still care for someone without being at their beckon call, that life goes on even when it's a little different than what we are used to.

     I've have already scouted out and selected a "newer" release off of Netflix for the girls to watch when they get up from their naps. I used a couple of the random paper plates left up on top of my refrigerator at lunch today because the idea of having dishes to wash literally made me nauseous. And that frozen pizza I have on emergency standby is going in for active duty!

     Me taking it easier on myself does not make me a bad parent. Sometimes the cloth diaper users need to use a disposable, sometimes soap makers are forced to use store bought, sometimes cook-from-scratch types need a frozen pizza. There is no shame in any of it. I still told my girls "I love you" and kept them safe today, that's really my only requirement for any day. Everything else is "just gravy", as they say.  My girls gave me hugs and wished I could get better and were none the worse for wear.

     I have to remember to just take life as it comes, good and bad. Not every day needs to be filled with DIY projects, scratch baking, and bath tub paints. Sometimes simple is just taking it easy.

     So I'm off to drink a nice hot cup of Emergen-C and dive under my covers until I shake this cold. Stay Well!

Simple City Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment