Sunday, January 20, 2013

The Olivia Act

     December 14, 2012 has become a day that many Americans will never forget. Even more so, it has become a day that (dare I say) NO parent could ever forget. The tragedy in Newton, Connecticut that resulted in the end of so many lives, mostly 1st graders, has left a hole in the hearts of so many. One of the victims was young Olivia Engle. Olivia's family had the fortune of having family photos taken just weeks before the tragedy. The recent photos have, reportedly, been a great comfort to her family. As much as anything can be a comfort in this time of great sadness.

     This got some professional photographers thinking and The Olivia Act was born. The idea is that a photographer donates his or her time to a family who, perhaps, would be unable to afford services otherwise. Thus, giving the family a lasting memory all in the name of a little girl lost. Photographers and other service industry people all around the country are participating in this cause, strictly to give back to their communities and to honor those memories.

     I was contacted out of the blue by a photographer that I knew through other friends, very casually. Peter Bissell of PeterJensenBissell Photographic offered to donate his time and service to my family to provide us with this beautiful gift. I was completely unaware of The Olivia Act at the time and began looking into it. I was blown away by some of the stories across the country. I was immediately humbled and honored. To be included in something so genuine and honest was really touching for me.

     How could I say no?! We told the girls they could wear whatever they wanted, we really wanted this to be a true representation of us as a family. Sparkly dresses it was then for the girls and jeans and tattoos for Mommy and Daddy.  On January 5th we headed downtown and to Peter's studio. Perfectly urban in a downtown, second floor walk-up his studio was set just right. It was simple, just our style. With a stark white background he was able to capture nothing but pure personality from my girls and us as a family at large. After a half hour of his time he assured us "we got it" and we were off to enjoy the rest of the day.

     I couldn't help but well up a little as we drove away. Knowing I had participated in something meaningful and that I would soon have photographic memories of my too-quickly-growing children was a bit overwhelming. More overwhelming than that was actually viewing the photos. They were to us in about 2 weeks and I was blown away! They are truly special to me and so simple. What could be more perfect?

     I HIGHLY recommend Peter Bissell for any photographic needs you may have. He is a true professional and a pretty upstanding guy in my opinion. This was certainly an experience that will resonate with me for the entirety of my life.
  








A few moments of kindness by one has brought me a experience that I will never forget. Thank you Peter!

Simple City Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment