Thursday, January 3, 2013

Ice Cream for Breakfast

     How do you become the coolest mom in the history of the world? Easy. Give them what they want. Or, at least, let them THINK they're getting what they want.
   
     I started making frozen yogurt discs a few weeks ago for a healthy desert for the family. My girl's immediately started calling it ice cream and I let them roll with it. I mean, they still think that "soda" is only soda water; they've never had Coke or Sprite. If we get crazy we'll let them have a locally made root beer (usually when we got out for pizza) and that's it. So, I'm cool with them identifying this with ice cream.

     Now, mornings around here can be as hectic as anywhere else. I have to get a 2 year old and a 4 1/2 year old up, fed, dressed and ready for the day so that we can all walk the 3 blocks to my daughter's preschool. We are a one car family and my husband works 20 miles from home. We intentionally walk and love it, but on cold or rainy mornings this process becomes even more difficult. Anything I can do to make my life simpler in the morning, I'll do it. So when my oldest (my picky, slow eater) one morning requested ice cream for breakfast I saw it as an opportunity. An opportunity for a quick paced morning!

     To her amazement, I said, "Sure, only if you promise to eat all of what you're given this morning." Holy Moly! I've never seen my daughter eat breakfast without being prodded or coaxed. After, because she already felt ahead of the day, she went in and got dressed without needing to be asked. This was magic I had just created.

     Now, I'm no miracle worker. Literally, all it is is yogurt...frozen. I saw a version on Pintrest and, like usual, tweaked it a little to make it just what I wanted. After 3 batches, this is the one, I've found works best! So, here you go. For breakfast, snack or desert.


What you'll Need

Yogurt (I suggest Greek style because it has a thicker consistency and I won't melt as quickly to start)
Piping bag and wide tip (If you don't have one use a plastic sandwich bag and snip off one corner)
Tray
Wax paper (not a necessity but it makes your life much easier)


My girls REALLY like the blueberry and I try to buy the biggest container I can get. I am not married to a brand and will usually buy off brand if I can find the flavor they like.


Step 1: Line your sheet with wax paper. This will make removal a breeze.

Step 2: Place tip in pastry bag and fill the bag with your yogurt.

Step 3: Pipe discs onto the tray. I usually shoot for the size of a 50 cent piece.    

Step 4: Place in freezer for a minimum of 30 minutes. They can always be in there longer. Mine usually end up in there a while, because I forget about them until I need them. It doesn't matter at all!

Step 5: Pull the discs off with your fingers and stack in an air tight container. I place wax paper (pieces cut from the one used on the tray) between the layers. They will stick to each other slightly otherwise, but can always be pulled apart.

Enjoy! I usually give my girls 4 at a time, its the perfect snack or desert. For breakfast I'll usually give 5 or 6.

Simple City Sam

2 comments:

  1. Just an added trick to your "ice cream"....I have to use soy yogurt for my son due to a milk allergry and if you've ever used soy yogurt you know how runny it is. In order for us to make discs that are not flat, I put the pan in the freezer for a little while before making them. As soon as the yogurt hits the tray, it holds. It works well!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great tip, Sherri!! You could always use a small muffin tin, too. That was indeed a product that I had tried and was unsuccesful with. Way to keep it simple!

      Delete