Saturday, January 5, 2013

Makin a Grocery List, and Checkin it Twice

     During the last "girl's weekend" my friends and I had, we were discussing our grocery bills. Yes, this is a far cry from some of the topics we used to discuss in college, and we consumed more tea that night than wine, but we've matured, I guess. When I told them that I typically feed my family of 4 on roughly $60 a week they were shocked. In fact, it was a conversation that became a catalyst for this blog. They seemed flabbergasted at the notion and at the fact that I do a good deal of my shopping at the local Farmer's Market.

     Most of us assume (I know I did at one point) that to eat "organically" or locally means it needs to cost more. This is not always the case. Besides which, if you can get yourself to subscribe to the idea fully your eating habits will improve exponentially. The kinds of foods you will buy will go farther and fill you and your family more satisfyingly. You won't need a cabinet full of chips, cookies, and "diet" granola treats at the ready because you won't be hungry and because you'll have better snacks on hand or ready to be made.

     There are a few concepts that make this whole process easier. First and foremost, this way of thinking is just that, a way of thinking. It is not a diet or a "do it this way for a while and iron everything out" type of idea. This is the way we live, always. Once a rhythm is established it becomes second nature, but like anything establishing a new rhythm can prove to be tricky. It did take some determination and patience in the beginning when we made the changes initially, too.

    Second, buying in bulk is almost always better. But this doesn't mean that I'm advocating the big box bulk stores and a 5 lb jar of peanut butter for $9.99. Be ready to capitalize on a deal when you see one. This summer I was able to buy half a pig! Through a friend, I found out about a locally raised pig that was up for purchase. I knew where this pig had been raised, I knew exactly what he'd been eating all summer and I knew who would be doing the butchering (again through a friend's connection). I capitalized, and for $250 got 25 chops, a rack of ribs, 2 ham roasts, 2 loin roasts, 4 ham steaks, 6 lbs of bacon, 4 lbs of ground sausage, 4 lbs ground pork, a set of jowls and the liver (that I gave to my grandfather and scored major points for), and 2lbs of salt pork. We put everything in the chest freezer and have had pork at least once a week, on average, since September!

     Second (sub article b), sometimes buying less is better. If I only need 2 carrots, I'm only going to buy 2 carrots, the bulk price will be much less and I won't waste money by throwing out rotten carrots because I bought the bag. Even at the grocery store, nearly everything that is packaged in the produce section can also be found in bulk availability, that is to say, you can pick what you want and pay for the weight. These options will save you considerably.

     Third, utilize your resources! In the summer, hit up local fruit stands. If you have a friend who knows of a pig, ask. Inquire about programs at local markets. For instance, some of the vendors at our local Farmer's Market will double the value of accepted WIC and/or state issued food stamps. Individual farms may be running a special, take advantage. Shop in different locations for different products. All my meat, eggs and produce comes from the Farmer's Market. Sometimes I am forced to buy produce at the grocery store in the winter, especially fruit, because my daughters are fruit monsters! Otherwise, the grocery store is mostly for our dairy and liquid needs, like soda water, beer and wine, yogurt, cheese, milk, etc. and paper goods like toilet paper. And lastly, the local "pharmacy store" is where I purchase my toiletries, diapers, and occasional paper goods. Not only is the pharmacy store (we use Rite Aid) typically cheaper for these products but they also have a savings program that earns you coupons, 2-for-ones, and the like. We now get 20% off almost everything in the store when we shop there making it all the more cost efficient.

     And finally, stick to the plan! We plan out dinners for the week (it's not that hard to plan 5 meals ahead, relax, I promise) which helps us plan our list, which helps make us efficient cost savers. Plan to make according to serving sizes not according to the whole box. Get 2 meals out of one big box of spaghetti, don't just make all the pasta. Mix the meals up, the first meal on the list doesn't have to be on Monday.

     Ok, so before I even make a list I take inventory of what I have in the kitchen. I don't assume anything. Open the cupboards see whats there, open the fridge, throw out anything expired and organize to see whats left. Can I get away with a "leftovers" meal? It will keep me from throwing anything out and knock one dinner off my list already. Then my husband and I work together to make the list, that way no one person is responsible for guessing what everybody feels like eating. We start by writing down the dinners one by one. Each time creating a separate list of ingredients we will need to make the meal. My goal is to always make meals consisting of at least one item I already have. I don't want to have to buy all the ingredients needed for any one meal, if possible.

    
A Typical List: (with notation)

1. Leftovers (nothing needed)

2. Shepherd's Pie (I have 1lb of beef from a "buy 3 get 1" deal I bought, tomato paste left from last time as well as some frozen peas from a giant bag still in my freezer. Beef bouillon and condiments needed are usually on hand- and I've already double checked.) I need: 3 potatoes, 1 carrot, 1 onion, beef bouillon (I'm out).

3. Roasted Chicken w/ Brown Rice and Veg. (I have an unopened bag of brown rice, plenty of herbs and seasoning) I need: 1 chicken (about 3-4 lbs), 1 fresh veg (go to market and see whats best!)                   ***** BONUS*****       After dinner or the next day, we will pick the rest of the chicken clean. My husband will use the meat, some more of those frozen peas, some potatoes and carrots (add 2 potatoes and 1 carrot to the list) and make a wonderful chicken stew, or pot pie (just add crust). AND, then he'll take the carcass and boil it down with some ends of carrot and celery and onion (I save and freeze all trimmings) to make a chicken stock. Freeze the chicken stock and the stew filling. Now I have a meal ready for next week, no work, and a stock for a soup in the future.

4. Mushroom Stroganoff (I have half a bag of egg noodles left and I'm already buying bouillon) I need: mushrooms (usually 4 buttons, and a portabella), 1 small carton of sour cream, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup (I'll buy a 2 pack, for next time).

5. Split Pea Soup w/ Ham (I have a ham steak from my half pig, and am already buying an onion that won't be fully used) I need: 1 bag of split peas  ******BONUS******    If we use the entire bag of peas and the whole ham steak we can split the soup in half and freeze one half. This will give us another"freebie" meal another week.

6. Frozen Pizza (I'm only human and I know this is going to be an extra long week with the girl's activities) I need: 1 frozen pizza.


Lunches will consist mainly of leftovers. However, my girls really love cheese quesadillas so I need: 1 block of cheddar cheese (which I'll also use for school snacks) and 1 package of soft tortillas. (I can also get some bean burritos out of the package for lunches if I buy 1 can refried beans, I'll already have some sour cream and cheese) Daddy will also make a loaf of bread this week, per usual, and I know I've got peanut butter, so we're good.

Breakfast is quick and my husband is at work by 5:30 am so we kind of luck out here. Either way I'll could grab a carton of eggs to round out our list (we always have eggs, for quick meals, and baking). My girls will want yogurt, oatmeal, or cereal. I have a friend who receives WIC but she and her kids can't consume the amount of cereal she is allowed to buy. So I trade her hand soap for cereal (and milk because they are dairy allergic), I'm good there. I have a carton of oatmeal and my hubby's coffee already. I need: 1 carton of eggs, 1 large carton Greek yogurt (desert too), 1 large carton raisins (for oatmeal and snacks).

Snacks can be tricky. My kids have been eating fruit and veggies for snacks from the beginning so it's not hard to get them to eat those items. I will go to the market looking for what's best or hit the grocery store for specific things. I need: 1 bunch of bananas, 6 apples, 2 fruits, 1 cucumber, 1 treat (usually pretzels or goldfish snacks)


Miscellaneous items like toilet paper and such have also been accounted for. I need: cat food and littler (this week) and the girls need new toothbrushes. Also, a 6 pk beer. With the animal items it's a heavy week for me so I'm not going to use this week to stock up on items I may need for soaps or home projects. I know the hubby and I will want a few beers throughout the week. I'll probably buy what's on sale, and we'll limit ourselves to the 6 pack for the week.

The list will look like this when I bring it to the store with me:

  • Leftovers
  • Shepherd's Pie
  • Chicken/Rice/Veg
  • Mush Stroganoff
  • Pea Soup w/ Ham
  • Pizza
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Grocery                             Market                       Rite Aid

beef bouillon                    potatoes- 5                  cat food
mushrooms                      carrots- 2                     litter
sour cream                      onion                              toothbrush- 2
cr. mush. soup                whl chicken- deal?    beer
bag split peas                  vegetable- 1
Frz Pizza                           apples
cheddar                            eggs
tortilla wraps
can beans
yogurt
raisins
bananas
fruit- 2
cucumber
goldfish


     The whole thing is going to run me about $65. If I was starting from scratch and had to by the pork and beef and milk It would probably be closer to $100. If I didn't have to worry about litter and cat food, closer to $50. Every week I'll use something I already have, and every week I'll buy or make something I can use in the future. The freezer is my friend as much as fore planning.

Stick to the outside loop of the grocery store, don't venture into the center rows except for paper goods and animal needs. There's nothing you need down there. Happy Shopping!

Simple City Sam


    

2 comments:

  1. Still amazed how you accomplish your grochery shopping within budget I have taken a few tips and tricks from you and already seen significant savings ! You rock ! Thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad to hear it, keep up the good work. More tips are to come! Mwahahahahaha! :-)

      Delete