Friday, March 8, 2013

Chicken Soup With Rice

     Another cold and rainy/snowy day here means a bit more comfort food is in order. It also means that I've spent nearly ALL energy I had in reserve already on rainy/snowy days this winter. So I'm making this an easy installment of comfort food.

     I've grabbed one of the frozen Chicken Soups that I have in the deep freeze. It is so gratifying to have homemade, local, organic food at your fingertips!! In the immortal words of Col. Hannibal Smith, "I love it when a plan comes together."

     I let it thaw a bit in the refrigerator throughout the day. Then I put it on the stove, low, to let it warm slowly. I also started a pot of water for rice. Rice is one of those pantry items I always have on hand. I made 2 servings, you don't need much. It's an addition to the meal not a full, separate component.

     I like to make the rice on it's own and then add it to the soup that is nearly ready. This way you don't need to wait as long for the soup to heat itself AND cook the rice. Also, this method allows you to make sure the rice is done before adding it to the soup. When it's cooking in the soup it can be a bit of a guessing game. Once the rice is almost completely done I add it to the soup and give it another 5 minutes.

     After the 5 minutes, the rice will be perfect and it will have been infused with all that amazing Chicken Soup flavor. This soup is absolutely brilliant! Last time I made it my oldest threw a fit because we ran out. Obnoxious yes, but also gratifying to know she likes good food so much!

 

     Of course, I can't do much of anything without music- or more appropriately, without singing- it's a family thing! So I spent all day while this was cooking and later while we ate it, singing, "Chicken Soup with Rice".


     So remember to keep your hands on your bowl because, "In March the wind blows down the door. And spills [your] soup upon the floor."

Simple City Sam

2 comments:

  1. Love that song and love the soup- I am pulling some out of the freezer tonight, fabulous idea. Glad I have some from the "Best Bang for Your Cluck" episode-dmr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy to hear that! I must have gotten my good taste from somewhere! :-)

      Delete