Sunday, March 17, 2013

Mega Mimosa

      So I grew up in the Caribbean. Oooh, Ahhh! Trust me, it's not all it's cracked up to be. The saying goes, "Paradise is where you don't live". That is true. For vacation the Caribbean is hard to beat, warmth, beaches, cheap alcohol, etc., etc., etc.... But when you live there you still have to go to work or school, still have to do your grocery shopping and walk the dog and sleep whilst knowing cockroaches are probably running around on your floor (not because you're dirty but because they just plain live there). Of course you find things that you cherish too!
 
     For me, one of my most cherished things was fresh Passion Fruit (a few other fruits too...but let's stay focused). One of the houses we lived in had a Passion Fruit bush along the back fence. My sister and I used to pick fresh ones off the bush and eat until our bellies hurt. Passion Fruit is sour and tart and deliciously sweet all together. When new on the bush, they are yellow and firm (in fact they look just like lemons), as they ripen they green and then turn maroon, until finally they turn brown and slightly wrinkled (that's how we usually see them here in the U.S.). As they continue to ripen they continue to sweeten. For me though, the tart sour flavor mixed with the sweet is what makes them so freaking amazing.
 
     It may be a bold statement but, Passion Fruit is probably my most favorite fruit in the whole wide world when picked directly off the bush! (Ok, it has competition with the Gnip...but again let's stay focused...we'll get there).
 
     Today at the grocery store, while buying my weekly coconut water, I saw (again) the can of Passion Fruit juice. What the heck!? I love it, I'll drink it...let's do it. So I splurged and spent all of those 79 cents!
 
     When I got home and began relaxing and cooking- our typical Sunday tradition- I opted to make one of my favorite adult bevys...a Mimosa. Your traditional Mimosa is Champagne (usually extra dry or Brut) and Orange Juice. Now, I don't go crazy with the Champagne when it comes to Mimosas. Honestly, you're just mixing it with fruit juice, keep it inexpensive. A $7-$10 bottle is more than acceptable! Sometimes it is served with or without ice. I enjoy adding a little Pomegranate juice to tarten (is that a word?) it up.
 
     But wait a minute, I have Passion Fruit juice! I decided to give it a shot, I had nothing to lose. In fact, I was pretty darn sure this would be the most delicious thing I had ever had.
 
 
     Holy Cow!!! I was right. The sweetness and the tartness of the Passion Fruit juice was perfectly suited for a Mimosa. The fullness of the fruit flavor offered something I don't typically get from a Mimosa. I tasted the sweetness immediately. Just after follows the brightness of the sour. The last finish comes through with all flavors melded together into the perfect mix! I am in love. I can say with full confidence that this is most likely the only way I will ever make Mimosas again! 
 
     The Passion Fruit juice was significantly less expensive than Orange Juice. It also had WAY less sugar...actually none, as compared to Orange Juice, and for me it is a much more fulfilling flavor.
 
 
Really, you've got to try it. In advance- You're welcome.
 
Simple City Sam
 

1 comment:

  1. I believe tartan is a word but its usually a plaid....and I wlook forward to trying your new mega mimosa

    ReplyDelete