Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Sewing Nook


     Part 2 of my massive room re-organizing was my new sewing nook. This is the part that I'm super excited for. About 18 months ago I creatively acquired (reappropriated?) and antique sewing machine desk that my grandmother had put in the yard sale pile. Ok, I just plain old took it...I did ask first so it's all good. This thing is a beaut! It's a Singer from 1948 and I was thrilled to find a box in one of the drawers containing the original manual, spare parts, bobbins, and a button holer and manual. I was able to look up the year using the machine's serial number and the Singer website.

     We brought it to a professional in this sort of thing to be cleaned and tuned up. After that I was ready to get sewing. It took a bit of learning and a lot of reading through the manual. To be honest, after having it back for a whole 4 days I'm still not 100% with the machine. I'm ok with that though, I like the challenge of learning something new, and I LOVE the fact that it is an antique and still getting the job done.

     In any event, the machine needed a home and a functional one at that. That brings us full circle to my new sewing nook. It's right next to my new dressing area but I still have more than enough space. Now everything is neat and tidy, visible and accessible.

 

     We hung 2 shelves on the wall for more storage. I made sure to hang them at a height that I could reach but also at a height that I wouldn't hit my head on and that the kids and animals wouldn't be able to access. On these shelves I placed all my crafting supplies like beads, hot glue guns, ribbon, etc. Into the drawers of the sewing desk I was able to store sewing supplies like thread, bobbins, patterns, and the like. All of my plastic totes full of fabric stacked neatly next to the desk and offered a much more sturdy surface for the desk top to rest on than the folding arm it has standard.

 

     Keeping the shelves tidy was a priority too. I collected all the left over glass jars,  that were full of candy as wedding favors at my brother's wedding, and have been storing them ever since. I put them into service by sorting and storing small beads in them. I also used small mason jars for buttons and small odds and ends. It all worked like a charm and didn't cost a thing! The shelves themselves (ha! rhyming) cost roughly $15 and everything else was already in my possession.



     The sewing desk is right in front of a window and gets tons of natural light! Everything is neat and organized. I have the ability now to work efficiently which aids in my creativity. I could not be happier. Oddly, even though there are more items in the room now, it feels bigger and more open.

A couple of hooks, a 6' board of 1x8 cut to shelves and a little work have completely simplified my dressing and sewing spaces (for a combined total of about $33). That's simple city living!

Simple City Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment