Saturday, March 9, 2013

Toad In The Hole

     Well we will be setting all our clocks ahead tonight, which in mind mind means spring is basically here. I refuse to believe anything but this notion. Being that we will all wake up tomorrow, fooled into thinking we've been allowed to sleep in, I think we will celebrate. We will be making one of our favorite breakfasts: Toad in the Hole.

     I honestly can't tell you why, but Toad in the Hole always reminds me of spring. Sure we'll make it periodically all year but there's nothing like a springtime toad! Like always, this one is simple. My hubby made some fresh bread the other day so these toads will be even better.

     Use a cookie cutter, ring mold, or even a knife and cut out the center of each slice of bread. Place the slices and their centers on a hot, greased griddle or pan. We use butter because the end result is amazing...which is probably why we all eat too much butter...but use what works for you.

     Then crack and drop one egg into each hole. You are essentially making a fried egg and a piece of toast all at once. After a few minutes, flip your toad and let the other side cook. The toast should be golden and crispy. The egg whites should be visibly cooked and adhered to the toast. When you break the yolk it should ooze out slowly, marrying perfectly with your beautifully buttered toast.

 

     We serve one Toad per person and usually serve it with a side of fresh fruit or berries. It's nothing outrageously fancy but it really is delicious. It has always been one of my favorites and now my girls love it too. I've heard Toad in the Holes called many other names, but I grew up with this name and like it best! So toads it shall be in the morning for a nice little treat.

I'm hoping this toad will spring us right on out of winter once and for all.

Simple City Sam

No comments:

Post a Comment